Subject: Re: Modeling smooth seams
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 20:16:30 -0400

>How was this done and in general how do you model smooth
>connections of objects. (ex. wings of an airplane to a fuselage,
>rocket engines on the delta fighters of Babylon5 etc.)   Thanks.

One way I've used (probably the hardest, I don't know, but I'm sure
I soon will) is to use Boolean (Subtract or Union) to cut or unite
the two parts.  Then cut out the interior polys left over from both 
objects.

The intersections of the two objects will create additional points
and polys at their junction.  Use Merge points to make sure the
two objects are thoroughly welded together.  Select any 2-point
polys that may have been left over from the above operations
using Display Poly Stats panel and cut them out.

The two objects have to have IDENTICALLY named surfaces AT
the intersection.  When loaded into Layout, those surfaces will be
smoothly SHADED when Smoothing is turned on and the Max Angle
is set somewhere around 90-120 degrees.  If the junction creates
ACUTE (less than 90 degree) angles, these will NOT be smoothed.

Dean A. Scott
Light Speed Tutorialist.
--
[email-masked] sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]